Camps Family Community Garden began as FMCC Community Garden in September 2016. The mission was to create a garden where food grown there could be given to the local community. Through collaboration with students at FGCU, the garden began to take shape, and in late 2016, we had our first produce for donation.
Upon donating our harvest to the Gladiolus Food Pantry, we realized that the best way to help get fresh produce to those most in need of it would be to donate to food pantries, and that is now our mission. As we get the garden established, on a routine, more volunteers, etc., we hope to continue to expand the amount of produce we provide to the Gladiolus Food Pantry, and other food pantries in the area to try to provide fresh produce to the local community in need.
The vision of this Community Garden is a simple one: provide fresh produce to those most in need. Fresh produce, fruits and vegetables, are healthy foods that not everyone has access to, but yet are vital for optimum health. We feel that everyone should have the right to eat healthy, and we hope our garden helps those in the area have access to those healthy foods.
Would you like to participate with us? Here’s what you need to do so.
- All volunteers and guests must complete or have on recent file a “Release of All Claims” form.
- Children are welcome in the garden but must be accompanied by an adult and must be supervised at all times.
- Volunteers must be aware:
- Work will occur outside and precautions should be taken for: weather, sun, and insects.
- Work will occur in and around soil, compost, well water and agricultural materials.
- Appropriate clothing should be worn as needed: long pants, long sleeves, hat and gloves.
- Closed shoes are required. No bare feet or sandals.
- Do not attempt activities incompatible with your current health and capabilities.
- Access to bathrooms and water will be provided.